Monday, October 12, 2009

What's in a Name?


We had a horrible time coming up with a girl's name. We had a list of about 10 names that we both kind of liked, but weren't absolutely set on. Among those names were Claire, Adelaide, Hannah, Elinor and Evelyn. After searching and searching we finally stopped stressing about it and decided to just wait until we saw her to figure it out. We already knew we wanted her middle name to be Christa after my mom. After mulling it over in our heads, we thought it would be cool if we spelled Christa with a K after Kyle's mom's (Kay). So Krista was for sure her middle name. Then came the challenge of coming up with a first name that 1. we both liked and 2. went well with Krista.

A couple of weeks before I was induced, one of my friends on facebook was talking about her daughter, Annalise. I thought, "Hmmm...that's a pretty name." I threw the name out there for Kyle and he liked it pretty well, but that was about the end of our discussion of it. Fortunately, once we saw our sweet baby, we both pretty much knew she'd be Annelyse. Of course, spelling her name was a whole other story! We had a massive debate on how to spell it...Annaliese, Annalise, Annalyse, Anneliese, Annelise, etc., etc., etc. We finally decided on Annelyse because Anne is my middle name and we already knew we wanted to call her Ally, so we threw the y in there. So she's named after me, my mom and Kyle's mom.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

I love her name. We found Laela's name from someone on facebook too. Funny. I have been wanting to call you. I am going to call you tomorrow. I just keep wanting to call you when I can really enjoy the call without kids screaming and that isn't very often. :)

Shay said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful, and it's a beautiful name!

elise said...

ps, i love her name too. and i love how you incorporated your name, and both grandma's in there.

Kristen said...

That's so funny--Claire, Elinor, and Evelyn were all on our top 10 list of girl names:) I hate that spelling the name has to be such a challenge:) We spelled Briton with one 't' because that's how it is in the dictionary: "a person from Great Britain." But so many people call him "Brighton" with a long 'I'. Anyway, her name is beautiful--and I love a name with some significance to it.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Good job on the name! It works so nicely.

the duchess said...

Don't forget "An'Alise".