Thursday, March 11, 2010

Girnoh-la Bars


Today we made my friend, Elise's Granola Bars (or as Spencer would say, "Girnoh-la). They were DELISH! And so easy...and cheap!

Spencer REALLY wanted to put nuts in them and the only nuts I had in the house were pistachios and dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts that we'd received for Christmas. I wasn't too keen on shelling pistachios since Ally was getting fussy, so we opted to go with the chocolate nuts. I just chopped a few and threw them in and they were yummmmmmmy! I also added a half cup of Rice Krispies to see if they'd come out a little more like the Quaker Granola Bars. Sure enough, they were even better than the store ones! Yea! Thank you Elise!When Spencer finished eating his granola bar, I asked, "Ready to wash your fingers Spence?" To which he replied...

"Nope, I'm just gonna wick 'em."

6 comments:

-Melissa- said...

those look so yummy!! I will have to make some. My kids love Granola Bars.

elise said...

glad you liked them :) i never tried rice krispies, but we frequently add cheerios or flaky cereal... macadamia nuts sound great too! have fun playing with the recipe :)

the duchess said...

Whoah! Those look like the best granola bars I've ever seen.

Crystal said...

I made them and they were okay. Douglas didn't like them. I like Emily's recipe better. My only problem with her recipe is that they don't stay together. You have to eat them out of the refrigerator. I'm going to ask her about that. Have you tried them?

-Laura- said...

That's too bad, my kids LOVED them! No, I haven't tried Emily's recipe, I think I looked at it once and decided not to try it because it called for pre-made granola which is kind of pricey (and extra sugar). I suppose I could make my own granola and try them. I'm going to try another recipe this week for regular granola that another friend sent me. I'll let you know how it goes!

Crystal said...

Oh yes let me know. I've tried another granola bar recipe that was just oatmeal and I wasn't too fond of it either. I don't know how to make granola. Do you?