Thursday, November 30, 2006

New Kitchen Walls

Before...
(I know this picture is black and white, but you kind of get the idea of our white kitchen. I forgot to take a before picture before we started painting, and I had this one from a few months ago). Before we painted it was that nasty flat paint that they use in every new house. After living here 2 years, it had little fingerprints all over it, so it was definately time for some new paint!

...After
Here it is - our new red kitchen, complete with a new light (which replaced the yucky gold one). I took the picture at night, so it looks kind of dark, but it's a MAJOR improvement! I still haven't finished the detailing up near the ceiling, but I'll get around to it. At least the big part is done...primer + 3 coats later!

11 comments:

Ginger said...

WOW! Laura, that IS a huge improvement! I love the contrast with the floor and the counter. We're getting close to picking colors for our house and I'm scared. I have no idea what I'm doing. So, you're saying no flat paint, right? What kind did you use?

-Laura- said...

Ginger- Definately NO flat paint! Your kids will touch it once and then their little finger prints will be embedded in your walls forever. We used Behr paint from Home Depot with a Satin finish so that it is easy to wipe off. I think most brands of paint have an option of adding a kind of satin finish. It's a little more expensive, but it's definately worth it.

Crystal said...

We painted our bedroom red and we didn't use a primer. It took 3 coats of red. That was such a pain in the butt. Now I'll always warn people of how much paint it takes to get the red you want.

Your kitchen looks great. It amazes me that people undertake those projects with kids running around. Where did you find the energy?? :-)

Seable Family said...

Laura, your kitchen looks great. What a big project. I am sure it is so nice to have it done. I also love the new light fixture.

Our master bedroom was painted about the same color when we bought our house and I don't think we will ever re-paint it. It would take a lot of primer and paint to change the color. It is a good thing we like the color.

Emily said...

Laura,
I love it. Welcome to the "painters of red" club. Now you know why I warned you!

Shay said...

Laura,it looks great! Can't wait to have my own house to be able to work on. I think stuff like that is lots of fun!

Mindy said...

Looks great Laura, esp. with the toile curtains! I'll have to come and see it sometime!

Anonymous said...

I love your walls laura! I have a secret for all of you "three coat plus primer people." It is all about the type of paint you buy. Go to Columbia Paint and buy the Divine Paint and use one of their colors. Their colors and gorgeous and their paint goes on the walls like yogurt. It only takes ONE coat plus a few touch ups. It is more expensive paint but cheaper in the long run because you don't need so many coats and a little but spreads a long way. Go to:
http://columbiapaint.com/mainframe_devine.htm

Anonymous said...

p.s the Devine Bordeaux is the color I used and it is awesome. I did have them darken it a little more for me but the way they have it is great too.

-Laura- said...

Thanks Jen...should've asked you about that a month ago!!!

Sarah said...

It looks beautiful! I need to visit you soon and see it in real life!