Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Friend Harry

I did it. After four straight weeks of reading

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,
and of course,
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,
I am happy to report that I've finished! It was a bittersweet experience finishing the book, not because of how it ended, but because I've had my nose buried in a Harry Potter book at every available waking moment for the last four weeks, and then I finished the final book. No more waiting for the next book in anticipation for the climactic ending. (sigh) However, I loved the last book. For those of you that have complaints about it I have no clue what you're talking about, I LOVED it!

It's funny, I seem to forget how much I love reading when I'm not reading. I was a major bookworm as a kid, and since life has somehow gotten busier I don't seem to get in as much reading time as I'd like. So in order to avoid a reading lull, I've decided to always keep a book on hand to turn to during my much-craved free time.

I've found that the best way to find good books is by word of mouth. I don't really like perusing the library or book store in search of books because I never know if they're going to turn out terribly boring or raunchy or simply beyond me.

Therefore, my question to you:
Do you have any book title suggestions for me???
I especially like young adult fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy, but I'll pretty much give any book a try if someone recommends one to me. I was reading the second Fablehaven book before I took a Harry Potter detour but left it sitting on my nightstand at home (we're still in Utah), and I'd like a book to take to Lake Powell next week. So let me know if you've got any suggestions for me! (I'm headed to the BYU bookstore on Friday!!!!)

Thanks!

11 comments:

Brianne said...

I have to admit that I haven't read ANY of the Harry Potter books, but now that the series is done I'm thinking about it. I'm not much of a reader in general - I prefer to sleep these days, but I have really enjoyed the Stephanie Meyer books Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. The third one just came out last week and I sped through it in a few days. I don't know if you've read any Orson Scott Card stuff either (Ender's Game, etc.), but those are good if you like fantasy/science fiction. I can't think of anything else right now, but hope you find something good and have a fun trip to Lake Powell...I'm so jealous!

Kristen said...

Well--I was going to recommend the Stephanie Meyer books as well. I'm not a huge fan myself--only read the first--but if you like young adult fiction/science fiction, I think you'd like them. I'm a Victorian lit fan and would recommend anything by George Eliot--"Adam Bede" is my favorite. If you like Historical/biographical books, I recommend David McCollough's "John Adams" or Alfred Lansing's "Endurance." Both fantastic.

Kristen said...

P.S. See you at Lake Powell!

ms said...

Adam Bede is great, Memoirs of a Geisha is one I really enjoyed - I'm reading Les Miserables right now and if that is one you haven't finished, I'd say it's a must.

ms said...

Call me when you go to the bookstore! Maybe I'll run down and meet you - I could get use a book for Powell myself.

becki said...

ok, i'm reading a book right now called, "Stiff", by mary roach. It's about what happens to the bodies that are donated to sciene. like the first chapter talks about the heads that have been chopped off and put on a table for plastic surgeons to practice on. it's kinda gross, like the body melting chapter, but it's a VERY interesting read and has a bit of humor in it too.
have fun in powell, miss you

the duchess said...

You're blogging while on VACATION?!?! It's madness, I tell you. So much has transpired since you left. *yawn* But I'll be so happy to see your relaxed, tan faces when you return. Watch out for cops.

Emily said...

I am impressed you blog on Vacation too! Way to go Laura, have fun splashing around Powell... Josh and Ben are BEGGING me for Preschool... it's madness!!

Malinda said...

I just read the the Children of the Promise series and loved them. They are LDS fiction. They are great.

Unknown said...

Laura, I totally agree with you about Harry Potter. I loved it too! I really didn't have a lot of issues with it, even though a few people I talked with did. I cried like the last 150 pages simply because I was so proud of all the characters. Let me know if you find anything new that's good to read.

Oh, and we just got back from Lake Powell. The water is PERFECT! It is like bath water. What part are you guys going to be at? Do you fish at all?

Seable Family said...

It was so great seeing you guys last week. Spencer and Janelle are such cute kids. I just wished we lived closer so we could see each other more often.

Also I loved the last Harry Potter book too. I cried at the end, knowing it was coming to an end. You will have to let me know what book you ending up reading next. I read the Children of the Promise series a couple of years ago and I love them. Cried when I finished the last book too. Also I have been wanting to read those Stephanie Meyer books too.

I hope you guys are enjoying Lake Powell!