This morning my cousin and I made big plans to hit the gym. Even after a late night crooning over Edward in the new A&E "Sense and Sensibility" we both were up bright and early at 8:30 hitting the treadmills. After a lengthy workout we were on our way home when all of the sudden, Sarah yells, "COW!!!" And sure enough, not 3 feet away from my car and the street was a large black cow, escapee from the adjacent field.
My mind drew ablank at this sudden situation and before I could say, "What the...?" Sarah was on her phone frantically calling 9-1-1 to report the incident.
Still not exactly knowing what to do, I just pulled over to the side of the road and put on my hazard lights. Crazily enough, we knew the owner of the cow, who we also knew was currently out of the country on vacation, so we felt we had to do something about the lost soul. Sarah jumped out of the car and walked briskly towards it trying not to spook it into running.
I couldn't leave her to face the escaped cow by herself, so after turning the car off, I followed behind, still wondering how in the world we were going to get the cow back through the gate. It was one of the funniest sites ever watching Sarah inch slowly towards the cow - grass in hand trying to tempt it in the right direction. She finally got him to turn around when I caught up with her. This was no easy task though. The cow had other ideas of where she wanted to go: Towards the wooded creek, across the street into oncoming traffic, back up the street in the opposite direction. But eventually she turned back around and started not walking, but running in the direction of the gate.
I sprinted ahead of the cow, (grateful I still had my running shoes on!) herding her towards the gate when a nice man in a truck swiftly pulled up, swung the gate open and helped Sarah and I guide her right through it and into her field. Home sweet home.
That's when we realize the gate had been tied shut with plastic bags and the cows had obviously chewed through them. So the same man who'd swung the gate open ran over to his truck and pulled out some thick wire to keep it shut until the owner could fasten it with a chain.
Right as we were getting back into the car and heaving sighs of relief, the police squad car shows up. The police man muttered something about kids thinking it was funny to leave field gates open and to make sure the owner knew to get a chain lock on the fence before he sped off. Okay, officer! Will do.
Once safely back on the road, neither of us could stop laughing at the whole situation. I would not have believed you if you had told me I would have been chasing cows later that morning.
You're welcome City of McKinney for keeping the cows off the streets. Bring on the cattle drive.


13 comments:
crazy! i'm sure your friend appreciates you saving her livestock :)
That's so cool!!!
Hilarious! I didn't realize you live in such a rural area.
That is too funny! You 2 are so sweet:)
Shay- It's really not rural. However there are a few fields here and there that hold cows solely for the purpose of a tax break.
This story reminds me of a scene from Anne of Green Gables where Anne and Diana try to take that Jersey cow back to pasture. At least in yours you didn't end up covered head to toe in mud. Got to love Texas.
Laura, you and Sarah are SO brave in my book. Once my dad and I took a totally rural road out in the middle of no where and all of a sudden, there was no fence and there were cows everywhere! We had to drive all stop and go because they would just dart in front of the car. Those big cows are scary!
How random! Once when I lived in Provo, we had an incident where a dear/buck had made its way down the mountain and was wandering around our apartment complex. It was really random. I made Brett call animal rescue or something. I felt bad for the poor lost dear.
Anyway, I would have loved to see you guys chasing the cow...hehe
lucky thing your birthday is coming up in july-i'll get you a whip-unless you and kyle already have one!! tee hee
Nice cow pic! I'm temped to drive by again for the sole purpose of taking a pic for my post! Haha...and I'm still scratching my nasty ant bites, too. Debbie says, "Thank you so much!!!" Scoring points with the Bishop is always a good thing. ;o)
How funny! Oh to have see you two.
That was one of the odd things I found about McKinney. In the middle of this sprawling, modern growth were out of place pastures of cows and horses. 7-11 on one corner, cows across from it. Only in TX, right?
i didn't know you and sarah were cousins-cool! and like i just commented on your cousins blog, i SO want to hang out with you guys. i would love to chase cows and herd them in somewhere someday. sounds like an adventure:)
Post a Comment