He was pretty nervous about it while we were doing all the pre-op stuff, but then they gave him some "giggle juice" and he totally mellowed out. He was even smiling as two nurses wheeled him down the hall to the O.R. and away from us.
Three and a half hours later his urologist surgeon came to give us the post-op telling us that everything went as planned, and he even had a bit of good news. It turns out that the strain from the pressure in Spencer's kidney was mostly on the muscle tissue of the kidney and not on the organ tissue. That's good news because apparently muscle is easier for the human body to fix than organ, and it also explains why he has been able to function so well for so long without kidney failure. (or something like that, I have to admit some of the medical mumbo jumbo is hard to follow).
He is doing as well as could be expected after a 3 hour surgery. He had to have his first dose of post-op morphine right before I left, but he had drank some apple juice and ate half a popsicle. Laura was just about to get him to eat some graham crackers as I was headed out the door.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers; please know that they were appreciated and buoyed us greatly.


9 comments:
I am glad things went so well. I hope he can recover quickly and that everything can keep going smooth. Good luck. We love you guys.
I'm so glad it went well! Hopefully the recovery time while go by fast, and there won't be anymore worries.
Oh thank heavens everything went well!
Sorry about the MIX UP with Janelle this morning. I thought for sure that Josh was going to stay home from school, but I soon found out that he just wanted to spend extra time with his dad and not head off to school. Poor kid, we made him go anyway!
If you need me to pick her up from school again, let me know!
Phew. Glad it went well. He was in our prayers yesterday. :-) Let me know when you want to get Janelle and Ella together. Talk to you soon.
it has been a little bit since I check your blog I had no idea that he had surgery yesterday. I am so greatful to hear that he did well and you had a bit of good news what sweet little guy.
Glad to hear all went well with Spencer's surgery. I know how scary that can be for the kid and their families. It sounds like you all were very prepared. If you ever need any help with that medical mumbo jumbo just holler. I'd be happy to explain.
Yeah! What a relief. I'm glad everything went well.
that is great news!
just checked and found out about the surgery-it just seems like yesterday you were telling us about his needing it!
SO glad all went well-what a trooper he is.
are you hanging in there?? let me know if you need anything.
Post a Comment