Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quick Warning

A strange (but fortunately harmless) bit of identity theft happened to me this week, so I figured I'd warn everyone.

I got an email from Apple that was a typical, "forgot password" request for iTunes, but I hadn't issued the request.  Rather than follow the link in case it was a phishing attempt I went to iTunes to see if my old password still worked.  It did, but when I logged in my account started downloading 172 items.  I quickly paused the download and started looking at all the stuff, and realized it was everything that I had ever downloaded in my four year history as an iTunes customer.

I contacted Apple and it turned out that on Sunday someone using Laura's name told Apple that their PC died and they requested that all my purchased items be made available for download a second time.

Apparently this is some new trick for stealing music and video.  It is all straightened out now, and fortunately the credit card in my account was my old one that is canceled and useless.  Still, I had to call the bank to have their fraud department monitor our purchases for the next few weeks, and we have to make sure that no one is trying to use our credit. (uhhh.)

Anyway, just something to be aware of.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I think stuff like this is such a bummer. You really have to have eyes in the back of your head! Glad you got it figured out and you won't need credit monitoring like we do!

the duchess said...

You should get Zander's Identity Theft protection (zanderinsurance.com). Stone aged people like me who don't own an iPod have managed to escape this type of fraud so far. Knock on wood.

Hanah said...

Glad that you got it taken care of. We had some identity theft happen to us over a year ago. Someone had (the bank thought someone had seen us punch in our debit code at a checkout) ordered a bank card from our account, and had withdrawn fifteen hundred dollars within minutes from an ATM in NYC. Thankfully we got the majority of it back, but still it's disturbing that when you think you're being careful things like that still happen.